Face it - we don't all believe, think, see or smell the same. Politics are no exception.
In President Obama's address he said this quite early:
What comes of this moment is up to us. What comes of this moment will be determined not by whether we can sit together tonight, but whether we can work together tomorrow. (Applause.)
I believe we can. And I believe we must. That’s what the people who sent us here expect of us. With their votes, they’ve determined that governing will now be a shared responsibility between parties. New laws will only pass with support from Democrats and Republicans. We will move forward together, or not at all -– for the challenges we face are bigger than party, and bigger than politics."
FYI - This post is not to discuss politics either.... I just had a few things to say and point out about what MY version of "healthcare reform" might be! :)
As everyone of you know, I'm a healthcare worker, a total health advocate and "junkie". I truly WANT the best health for each and every person in the United States. It's a topic of discussion that I am quite passionate about. As I see it, and like President Obama said in his address, America's health crisis is a challenge bigger than politics.
President Obama has taken a big step to start change in our healthcare systems. I can't and I won't say I know all the in's and out's of the proprosals, but I do know and believe that changes do need to be made. Yea, insurance access is good and stuff... but to me, the "issues" I care most about haven't been discussed (or I've missed it) beyond The First Lady, Michelle Obama's platform on childhood obesity.
If I could make some changes [and I would if I could!!], mine would be along the suggestions of our FOOD supply and policy, and to our MENTAL/BEHAVIORAL HEALTH "system" (or lack there of if you ask me).
In a nutshell (I'm trying to make it a small shell), I believe that an overhaul of our mental health system would change TONS within the whole system. We can alleviate the demand, resources and wait times (for those admitting for assistance and those in the waiting rooms) of our Emergency Departments.... which would drastically change how the REST of the hospital works and runs. But also, by providing ADEQUATE assistance to individuals with psychological needs and substance abuse problems.... we could decrease repeats through the system and hopefully, the end result would ultimately create a healthier (mentally and spiritually) person/society.
Yea, that's big wishing, but hey.... you've got to start somewhere! :)
Now, as to my really BIG IDEAS! *grin*
- Support our Farmers once again
- WIC and other governmental support for food should allow and cover ONLY real food and those GREAT for the body - good ole broccoli, mangos, lemons, cabbage, root veg, bananas, spinach, whole wheat and hearty breads, milk alternatives (soy/almond/rice/etc), etc. Skip the processed crap that's "cheap" and convenient... I just don't understand how was as tax payers can sit back and fund programs that only make health issues (obesity, diabetes, hypertension, etc) WORSE and in the short and long run... cost us MORE in healthcare costs (b/c duh! - if you need help providing food for yourself and your family, you're probably getting help with your health coverage as well)!!
- Let people plant their own personal gardens (no HOA laws prohibiting this!!); we're not feeding the neighborhood
(okay.... now get ready for it... my favorite!!)
- Prescriptions for PHYSICAL ACTIVITY! (FYI - there's a whole campaign for this moving up!)- For physicians to Prescribe exercise just like they currently do w/medications, PT, OT, Speech Therapy, etc. This too follows you on your medical record and if non-compliant... it will also show (in the patients numbers).
- Reward those of EXCELLENT health! I'm not sure how we'd do this... tax break, coverage cost break, a free lottery ticket.... not sure, obviously, but I think it's a motivating factor to help our nation TAKE CARE OF ITS SELF!!
And, like President Obama closed his speech, "we do big things". We, the people, need to do big things! Big things for US!
We're American's. We were founded by hard-working and determined individuals. When did we become so lazy and unmotivated about life's BASICS and the only life we have been given to enjoy?! Really...?
Love them or hate them... but you must admit, I make some great points and I have some great ideas! :)
Get up friends! Get moving for something. Let's help our country by helping OURSELVES FIRST!