Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Workout Wednesday

Happy "Hump Day" friends! It's officially my "first day of work" at my new job! Soooo excited. A touch of nerves, but for the most part I'm really excited. New people. New places. New experiences. [added bonus: they come with a pay check too!]

So, I have been trying to focus a little more recently in my own workout regimen on strength training. Not the bodybuilder or figure model kind of strength training, but overall athleticism. I'm not big on the weight room for weight machines because I find they don't let me move naturally and the way my body/muscles are aligned to do so.... ultimately setting me up for an injury later. I prefer strength training moves that I can do with my own body weight and in time, and if need be, I can add a dumbbell/weighted plate to enhance the movement.

This is one of my favorite leg strengtheners: One Leg Body Weight Squats

Basics and Beginners:
Get it Cathie Fredrich!

With your back against a wall, with or without a balance ball behind your upper back, lift one leg up and bend the opposite knee, dipping as far as you can, with control, while flexing at the hip, knee, and ankle. Use the wall/ball/chair for additional support and balance until you build up enough strength in each leg to do it without assistance. Hold this position for a goal of 30 seconds. Switch legs. Repeat.










Once you have built up your leg strength - or you're ready for an added challenge, move up and down slowly in this position. The goal to have your thigh parallel to the floor.(See the advanced image) Do 10-15 repetitions per leg. Switch.
More Advanced:
Now, these are hard! I can't get as low as Mrs. BodyRock here, but I work on it all the time. Please don't try to go here immediately - you won't get back up!

Aim for five to 10 reps on each leg. Switch. Repeat. 





Like always, start low (with weights) and go slow with the speed and depth of the movement. Keep your CORE engaged and your back lifted up (don't get sloppy or slouchy). If you start to feel pain, stop and make sure you're aligned properly and executing the move correctly. Try again. If your pain continues... Stop doing it all together and check with your doctor.

HAVE FUN!! Remember to think about sexy thighs and a great butt when this one starts to get hard!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment