Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Workout Wednesday: ZUMBA!

Okay - So, I'm really, really, really working on putting up more tips and ideas weekly. I'm going to do my best! I've received so many emails from readers asking how to, what to, and why.... it's time to answer them for everyone or at least offer a few suggestions.

Now, each Wednesday I'm going to dedicate my blog to a workout, a new strength move, a goal or a trainers tip (if I can get all my favorite trainers out there to help!).


This week, I bring you ZUMBA!





I'll be honest. I've NEVER tried Zumba. I know, crazy... and here I am suggesting it to you guys. Well, honestly... It's a suggestion to find something FUN to do to help you reach your fitness and health goals. Last week I Kathie & Hoda on the TV while I worked around the house and it so happened, Kathie Lee & Hoda had gone all Latina!! It was a crazy Zumba fest out on the Plaza and everyone was dancing and shaking their money makers to the rhythmic beats of Zumba! Check out the link I included to see a clip from the show if you didn't see it.


Zumba looks like crazy fun. I've watched it several times through the windows at the gym while twerkin' it on the the treadmill or something. The downer for me: Coordination. Or the lack there of.

I'm a runner for a reason. I lack a lot of the skills for dance coordination. Maybe it's because my parents didn't let me stick it out in ballet/tap/jazz as a little redhead? Maybe it's because I grew up watching my mom dance and twirl around a big musical stage in awe (the big poofy skirts were every girls dream!) and I shied away from the art and pretended I wasn't interested.

I don't know, don't really care, but I do love to dance! College definitely taught me that! Drinks or not, if the girls wanted to go boogie to Britney, we did it. Occasionally, I'll get jiggy with it around the house to make Todd giggle... or the car, but I don't break it down regularly in public now (I would never count running around Arlington with an extra-enthusiastic-pep in my stride while blastin' "Til the World Ends" as technically breakin' it down).





Although, I haven't enjoyed the new exercise craze personally. I know MANY people who simply rave about it. I'm quite certain that even my Step-mom, Sharon, has fallen in love with this workout. Maybe one day I'll give it a try too... but I try to avoid those group exercise routines that involve dance moves. I get frustrated with my lack of "let it go" ability and that I think about it too much ... and then by the time it's over I've barely elevated my heart rate and I get mad because I 1.) didn't have fun, 2.) didn't really get in the workout I had in mind and 3.) I probably didn't sweat = therefore, I've wasted my time.

SO... if you're unlike me and LOVE to shake your groove thaaang... Give Zumba a whirl and let me know how it was! Maybe you all can convince me to give it a swing. :)

I'd like that. Have fun!! ZUMBAAAAA!

 And PLEASE tell me how it was!!! Are you hooked? Do you love it? Give us some feedback here... maybe your comments can help someone else (umm, me) give ZUMBA a shot! 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE Zumba! It has helped me lose about 20-25 pounds in the past 6 months. Even those last 10 pounds that are nearly impossible to burn just melted right off.

    I recommend Zumba to YOU! Come out to WV and try it with me sometime :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ZUMBA?!?!?! I didn't know that! (and I'm not convinced you even had 25lbs to loose from that smokin' hot frame - but GOOD FOR YOU!)

    I definitely think I should come visit. But after we go to Zumba, can you teach me how to can, make preserves and sew those super cute aprons!?

    Friends - Farm Wife here makes some awesome stuff!!! (Her blog's hilarious too!) I definitely recommend you check it out!!

    ReplyDelete