Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Workout Wednesday: Bikram

It's been a while since I've posted a Wednesday workout so I thought I'd expose a few readers to one of my favorite activities: Bikram Yoga.

I was going once or twice a week for 6 weeks prior to the holidays and haven't gone since... and I'm craving the heat with all this COLD weather! I just want to get warm from my bones out.

Bikram is a sequence of yoga that consists of 26 postures systematically designed to work every muscle, ligament, tendon and organ in the body. The postures are very doable and the classes are always the same (90 minutes). The best and worst part of the class is the temperature. The rooms are a nice and toasty 105(F). Now, don't freak out because the room is "warm"!! It's part of the practice!!! Yes, you're going to get sweaty in this practice. We all know that sweating helps to remove toxins from the body (it also helps to cool us!) so with the heat, your body warms up faster, your stretching is deeper from the beginning, and you're getting rid of the "junk" your body doesn't need through some icky sweat.

If you've never tried Bikram - TRY IT! There are studios all over the place and worth giving it a solid try. Don't go once and never again. Your first class will be VERY different from your 4th and 10th. I struggled at first to be still and focus, to ignore the heat and be okay with doing what my body could do that day (not two days ago). But when you leave... ohhhh, you'll feel amazing. Seriously.

Take a few minutes to check out this video. It's a beautiful arrangement of a class, the postures and testimonies.


Good luck! Have fun staying warm this Winter.


Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. Did you see the livIngsocial deal for the one in Arlington? I was literally planning on buying it and I was too late... I like it. Done it only 2-3 times tho

    ReplyDelete