Thursday, February 3, 2011

RISK takers be warned...

Your heart is ultimately in YOUR hands. Hopefully I've made that point by now. But just in case, I'll remind you again: Your heart is in YOUR hands. Cherish it.

It keeps working for you no matter what you do to it.... so love IT back.


Heart disease (CVD) can affect many people no matter who you are, what you do, or where you live. Here's a list of some risk factors none of us have any control over that put us at an increased risk for CVD:
  • Age
  • Gender
  • Heredity 
  • Race
  • Stroke (Coratid Artery Disease; Atrial Fibrillation, TIA's, Sickle Cell Disease, and other Heart Diseases)

Risk Factors that we have MORE CONTROL over or may be treated with help from your healthcare professional. Heart disease and stroke are largely preventable if you work to lower your risks. The more risk factors you have, the greater your chances of developing heart disease and having a heart attack or stroke.


  • Cholesterol
  • Blood Pressure
  • Smoking ( this includes second-hand smoke!!)
  • Physical Activity
  • Obesity
  • Diabetes
  • Stress
  • Birth Control Pills
  • Alcohol & Illegal Drugs

Heart Disease is the NUMBER ONE (1) killer of women... yup! More than cancer. More than car accidents. More than child birth... More than anything. Heart Disease is killing our women!!!!!!


** warning mom! i'm going to talk about youuuuuuu!**
Many of you may share a common fear of mine....  I am scared to death that heart disease will be the evil killer that will take my Mother from us.  No matter what I do, what I say, how I cook, or how I "beg".... I can't change my mom's risk factors. She's stressed out to the max, comes from a long line of horrific hearts, grew up in a home full of second-hand-smoke, gets minimal exercise ("I don't have time" I'm told), has issues with her blood pressure (mmm, stress will do that to you!), believe it or not - she was on birth control many times in her life (but that doesn't always work apparently), and well... she's the first to tell you she could loose some weight.

Sooo, yea. I'm scared. I'm scared heart disease will not only kill my mother, but me and other members of my family as well. I've seen lots of people die and I will be with many more in that special moment of their life... but nothing HURTS a family more than heart disease. A heart attack/stroke usually comes "out of NO WHERE".... it doesn't allow for time to cope or get comfortable with the idea of death. No one is ever ready to lose a loved one because of a heart attack (or a stroke... they may not die b/c of a stroke, but in essence, there is always a chance of losing the "person" you have always known due to personality changes, physical/mental disabilities, etc.).

Think about it. Make a change. Keep on lovin' the one organ that loves you most. :)



PS - Don't forget to wear you RED this Friday to raise awareness to your community!!!! Share the knowledge (and this blog!)!! :)

Love you guys,
-a.

No comments:

Post a Comment